Hoverboards have become a common site around cities, parks, and suburban streets but it took time for them to catch on and become a mainstream form of entertainment and another vehicle for commuters. Developed by Chinese inventor and pioneer of hoverboards Shane Chen and originally called the Hovertrax got the inspiration from the Segway and further developed it to what we know today. Sales at first were slow and it took the 25th anniversary of “Back to the Future 2” which featured a genuine hoverboard to get manufacturers interested on a large scale, although it didn’t float in the air the ride was still smooth enough, and considered the next best thing.
The market has grown to be a multimillion-dollar industry and experts predict growth to be strong over the next 5 years turning the industry into a billion-dollar enterprise. If you are not familiar with hoverboards please continue reading to learn more about this fast-growing product. There are many things to consider when choosing to buy a hoverboard for the first time including, the price, the quality of the one you decide to purchase, durability, and the typical charging time of hoverboards these are major factors in your decision to buy.
After Buying Just How Easy is it to Ride a Hoverboard?
So you’ve just bought your new toy or received a gift from a friend or loved one and now it is time to take it off the wrappings and box and immediately get started, this is not advised. Here are some tips to ensure a safe way to start your hoverboarding experience:
- Start by reading the manual thoroughly the same as any electrical device, the manual or guide will have a check you need before starting to make sure you are familiar with the hoverboard.
- Once you have read the instructions on how they work and the general principle ensure the battery or batteries are fully charged which usually takes between 1.5 and 3 hours for a full charge depending on the model you have. This will also give you time to read the instruction manual provided or looking for tips on the internet.
- When starting for the first time it is advisable to try it in the home on a soft surface like carpet or on the lawn which will give you a soft landing should you fall. Having a friend or family member holding you by the arm or shoulder is another good idea helping to prevent heavy falls.
- Once you have gotten used to the hoverboard and feel a bit more confident try the driveway or in a park away from traffic, don’t get too confident too quickly, it is like learning to ride a bicycle once you master it, it will be something that will come naturally to you.
Before you know it you will be cruising around the neighborhood impressing your friends and strangers alike.
How to Choose the Right Hoverboard for You
Choosing the correct hoverboard can be a little daunting, there are so many on the market today and although not expensive you want to get one you feel comfortable with and it meets your needs. Generally, hoverboards are marketed at 8-year-olds or over, this doesn’t need to be the case if used by children younger with adult supervision and in an environment that is safe. When choosing your board it is important to take into consideration:
- The speed you want to go is important, most hoverboard’s range of speeds they travel is between six to eight miles per hour and that is plenty for a first-time buyer. Hoverboards can go as fast as thirteen miles per hour but that is not recommended for beginners.
- Hoverboards do unfortunately have a maximum bodyweight limit and even though you may fall in the manufacturer’s specifications you need to be aware of these limits if you are intending to commute to work as the items you may be carrying might be too heavy also.
These are considered the main factors when purchasing a new hoverboard for yourself or others, although another concern is the battery life. Ensure that you buy a board with a good reliable battery which preferably doesn’t take too long to charge.
Hoverboards can be amazing fun for all the family and individual use, once you have mastered the balance and control of the board. Before buying one ask any friend who may own one already to try it out and see if it’s suited to you. Don’t give up if you have a few falls the first time you try it, other people may make it look easy and that’s because it is, with a little practice and perseverance you will soon be flying around the town or city in no-time. Hoverboarding is only growing in popularity and now is a good time to invest in one and start feeling the freedom they offer.