Common Air Conditioner Problems and How to Fix Them
After having a hectic day during the scorching sunny days in Adelaide, what is the only thought that comforts you? Sitting in a comfortable space with perfectly adjusted surroundings? Technology definitely saw this issue long years back and has gifted each one of us with a pleasant gift, with the invention of the air conditioner. Now as we all know, everything comes with a cost, buying an Air Conditioner comes at the cost of buying it, maintaining it on a regular basis, and gathering abundant knowledge about it over time. We often overlook the needs of our appliances unless we notice a significant change in their gesture toward us. Therefore, today we will be gathering knowledge about the common problems with air conditioners and will also be discussing the ways to fix them.
- Air Conditioner is not Turning On
Imagine yourself coming from outdoors, all covered with sweat with the thought of entering your home and sitting in a cool and comfortable environment, but as you turn your AC on, it doesn’t turn on. Before this actually happens, we’re here will be talking about the probable causes that can lead you to such situations and the ways to fix them if you encounter them.
- Check the thermostat batteries of your Air Conditioner.
- Prefer replacing the battery, if it’s dead.
- If there is no issue with the battery, check the settings of the thermostat to check whether the cooling mode is properly on or not.
- If everything mentioned above, is in place check the circuit breaker.
- Your AC won’t turn on if the circuit breaker is tripped.
- Reset the circuit breaker by turning the switch off and then on.
- Weak Airflow or No Cooling
Your AC device is definitely facing a weak airflow problem if you are noting pressure imbalances or hot or cold drafts. No cooling or Weak Airflow is a common issue that is faced due to
- Dirty Air Filter
- Faulty Blower Motor
- Blockages in the vent, and
- Low refrigerant levels.
As the list of causes is a bit long, this also puts stress on our minds, by making us think about how to deal with each one of them.
- Talking about the thermostat first, recalibrate it, and see if there’s a change.
- If a blocked vent is the cause of the malfunctioning, check if the vent flow has been hindered due to some decoration or furniture. Dirty Air Flow, not only restricts the air from coming inside but also makes the indoor air dirty and unhealthy for you.
- Prefer cleaning the air filter of your AC on a regular basis and changing them once a year. It not improves the airflow, but also keeps your AC working at its maximum potential.
After a lot of hustle, if you are still not able to figure out the reason behind your device working weirdly, try calling an HVAC professional and ask for their assistance.
- Water Leaks and Drainage Issues
Does water leaking from your device worry you?
Water leaking from your device, be it indoors or outdoors is an alarm from your AC device warning you to get the service done. The probable reasons behind the water leakage from your AC are:
- A clogged condensed drain of your system is mostly due to the accumulation of algae, dirt, and fungi in the pipe, which leads to retention of water in the pipe, eventually leading to water leaks indoors.
- Breakage of the condensate pump
- The dry air filter of the appliance
- Broken condensate pans
- Bad seal of the Air Conditioner
- Improper AC installation.
Talking about human nature, we all first try to fix issues by ourselves once, and if we fail then we usually look for assistance. If you are looking for some ways to see if you could deal with the problem by yourself, a few of the ways have been mentioned below.
- Always turn off your Air Conditioner by disconnecting the power flow to the device.
- Try unclogging the clogged condensate pipe by using a dry or wet vacuum, depending on the nature of the clogging material.
- Putting vinegar in the drain can also help you with killing off the algae or fungi build-up in the drain.
- In case of installation issues, re-schedule your Air Conditioner installation.
- Strange Noises or Smells
I guess you all agree with the fact that nothing can be more frustrating than your device making strange noises. Imagine yourself looking for a stressful and super comfy sleep after a long day, and your device not allowing you to sleep peacefully. A few types of noises have been decoded by us, for example, a bubbling sound is a symptom, of a refrigerant leak or excessive moisture in your unit, a grinding sound is a symbol of motor failure or an issue with the compressor, and clicking noises can be heard in case of an issue with the fan of the Air Conditioner or an issue with the compressor.
Your Air Conditioner trying to intimate you by making noises should not be overlooked and it is best to contact an HVAC professional in such case, to assist you in determining the sound’s meaning and fix the underlying issue behind it.
- Frozen Evaporator Coils
A frozen Evaporator coil restricts your AC device to function to its extreme potential and disrupts its cooling. This issue mostly arises when
- AC does not receive enough Air to operate properly or dirt accumulates in on the coil leading to restricted warm air flow to the refrigerant.
- If the refrigerant becomes too cold, as the moisture that is present over the coil freezes
Talking about the solution to fix the issue
- Allow the evaporator coil to defrost when it gets frozen, and then restart the unit.
- If you cannot stay without a fan then keep your appliance running at low fan speed for a few hours and allow the frost to melt.
Air Conditioners are a bit complex machines that require constant looking upon to keep working at the extreme of their potential. Overlooking its needs and dodging its due services can result in system failure, reduced work efficiency, and increased power consumption, thus leading you to encounter bigger problems requiring expensive solutions.
The answer to why it is always best to look for professional HVAC assistance is that it not only saves your time but also saves you from potential future expenses. Thus it is important to make a wise choice while we have the chance. We are here to assist you with a few of the top-notch HVAC service providers in Adelaide:
Regular AC unit maintenance can help keep it running efficiently and prevent potential issues. With the guide above, you will be sufficiently equipped to promptly tackle the most common AC problems. It is recommended to have your AC system professionally maintained at least once a year to prevent these from occurring.