- August 17, 2021
Scarlett Johansson discovers the first role in Wes Anderson film in the midst of Disney suit
Scarlett Johansson has scored her first film role following her bombshell lawsuit against Disney. The 36-year-old has joined the troupe…
Scarlett Johansson has scored her first film role following her bombshell lawsuit against Disney. The 36-year-old has joined the troupe cast of Wes Anderson’s impending film, Variety revealed.
The “Grand Budapest Hotel” director’s untitled forthcoming project will star continuous partners Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton and Bill Murray. Margot Robbie and Tom Hanks will likewise join the cast.
The “Black Widow” star recently worked with the producer on his animated film, “Isle of Dogs.” Anderson’s latest feature, “The French Dispatch,” debuted at the current year’s Cannes Film Festival and will open in theaters on Oct. 22.
Johansson recently made headlines when she sued Disney for break of agreement after the media monster decided to release Marvel’s “Black Widow” at the same time in theaters and on their streaming service, Disney+. Fans can watch the film with Premier Access for $30.
The “Perfect Score” star asserted in her suit that the activity flick brought down ticket sales and cost her $50 million in box office bonuses. Disney guaranteed that her agreement was intended for a wide release, not simply an exclusive theatrical release, and that obligation was satisfied.
Disney said the suit had “no merit” in a statement and that it “is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.” The organization likewise expressed that Johansson acquired extra remuneration on top of her $20 million salary from “Black Widow.”
“They have shamelessly and falsely accused Ms. Johansson of being insensitive to the global COVID pandemic, in an attempt to make her appear to be someone they and I know she isn’t,” Bryan Lourd, co-chairman of talent agency CAA, said in a statement late last month. Johansson is repped by CAA.
“This suit was filed as a result of Disney’s decision to knowingly violate Scarlett’s contract,” he said. “They have very deliberately moved the revenue stream and profits to the Disney+ side of the company, leaving artistic and financial partners out of their new equation. That’s it, pure and simple.”